Digital ProgramsPodcasts, videos, and other online resources.
Tips for Making Friends as an Adult
Ryan Kriger, author of How to Make Friends as an Adult, describes the approach he used to develop a group of friends after moving to Montpelier from New York City. He also shares advice for maintaining friendships, even during a pandemic.
Note: we have also released this conversation as an episode of our Portable Humanist podcast series.
Mentioned in the video
- Ryan Kriger’s book, How to Make Friends as an Adult: http://www.ryankriger.com/making-friends.html
- Bowling Alone: The Collapse and Rival of American Community by Robert Putnam: http://bowlingalone.com/
- College campus study about contact hours to establish friendships: https://news.ku.edu/2018/03/06/study-reveals-number-hours-it-takes-make-friend
- Health risks associated with isolation from the National Institutes of Health: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6638933/
- Harvard Study on Adult Development: Research from their first and new second generation: https://www.adultdevelopmentstudy.org/
- TED Talk Lessons from the longest study on happiness with Dr. Robert Waldinger: https://youtu.be/8KkKuTCFvzI