Hosting Events in the Age of Covid
As we roll out the 2021 Vermont Reads program, we acknowledge that the world is still affected by Covid-19. Vermont Humanities strives to offer safe cultural programming in accordance with State and Federal guidelines. This includes community-hosted events such as our Speakers Bureau events, Reading and Discussion series, or Vermont Reads programs.
Consider making your events flexible enough to be presented virtually if in-person programming is not advisable.
Hosting Online Events
When contemplating whether to host an event consider whether the event can be done virtually. Virtual online events remain the safest option to help mitigate the spread of Covid-19.
Zoom Best Practices Video
We’ve created a short video outlining our recommendations for our First Wednesdays lecture series hosts in using Zoom. Many of these tips are included in our Suggestions for Using Zoom document (PDF).
Other Resources about Hosting Online Events
- Vermont Humanities’ Suggestions for Using Zoom (PDF)
- How to Host a Successful Virtual Event: Tips and Best Practices by Katie Sehl
- Zoom’s Best Practices for Hosting a Digital Event
- How to Make the Most of Zoom for Every Kind of Event by Ben Drain
- Google’s Get more out of Google Meet with these tips.
- How to Host a Virtual Book Club: 7 Important Tips by Francis Bogan
- Vermont Department of Libraries’ Virtual (and Non-Virtual) Programming Ideas and Resources for Adults
Hosting In-Person Events
As you plan your in-person event, please be sure that you follow the most current and up-to-date health and safety guidelines provided by the Vermont Department of Health and the CDC. This may include, but is not limited to, requiring masks and practicing social distancing. Please be very sure that you can follow these guidelines thoroughly! If you have any doubts, we encourage you to postpone your event until it is safer to meet in person.
Other Resources about In-Person Events
- Vermont Department of Libraries Coronavirus Information
- State of Vermont guidance for Indoor, Arts, Culture, and Entertainment
- Vermont Historical Society Covid Guidance for Local Historical Societies
- Vermont Art Council’s Vermont’s Creative Sector: A Resource Guide for Covid-19 Reopening and Recovery