Vermont Reads 2017Brown Girl Dreaming
For Program Sponsors
Program Implementation Dates
Events may be scheduled anytime in 2017. We suggest planning activities over a concentrated period of weeks or months.
December 2, 2016 and June 2, 2017 for priority consideration. Applications will be accepted after the deadlines if books are available. We will respond to your application within two weeks of the deadline. Award notifications will contain an estimated ship date for your books based upon your event schedule.
Participating Communities Receive:
- Up to 75 copies of the Vermont Reads titles with a Vermont Reads 2017 seal on the cover. (The number of books awarded depends on the project’s size, scope, and creativity.) To purchase additional books at a discount, contact VHC (subject to availability).
- Program ideas, discussion guides, recommended related books for all ages, and links to web resources (all found on our website)
- Vermont Reads stickers and bookmarks
- Poster templates for promoting events
- Publicity assistance through the VHC media calendar, press releases, and website
- Contact names upon request of prior Vermont Reads project directors who would be happy to share tips for how to make your project successful
How do we get involved?
To participate, a community should have:
- An organization willing to be the primary sponsor/coordinator—a library, school, historical society, or social service organization are all possibilities. The primary sponsor will collaborate with other community partners to plan creative and diverse humanities-based activities that support community-wide reading and discussion of the book and the themes it contains, and undertake vigorous publicity in the months leading up to the activities.
- 1-2 representatives of that organization willing to act as project director(s)
- At least two other organizations to join the project team and help develop and carry out the activities. In addition to groups mentioned above, potential local partners might include bookstores, museums, church groups, local businesses, service organizations, afterschool and summer programs, teen centers, senior centers/assisted living facilities, and adult education and literacy services centers.
- For priority consideration, apply online before December 2, 2016 and June 2, 2017. Applications will be accepted beyond the deadlines if books are available.
A Note on Dispensing Books:
It is our intention that Vermont Reads books be shared far and wide! The strongest Vermont Reads applications will include a thoughtful plan to distribute and encourage reuse of the books.