Reading and DiscussionExploring Ideas through Books
The Rise of Nazism
By appointing Hitler Chancellor of the Reich you have handed over our sacred German Fatherland to one of the greatest demagogues of all time. I prophesy to you this evil man will plunge our Reich into the abyss and will inflict immeasurable woe on our nation. Future generations will curse you in your grave for this action. Telegram sent by retired German General Erich Ludendorff, a former supporter of Hitlers, to German President Paul Von Hindenburg, upon Hitlers appointment as Chancellor.
Ludendorffs quotation may be one of the most prescient of all time, but in 1933 it was an extremely rare viewpoint. Hitlers appointment as German Chancellor on January 30 of that year indeed began a chain of horrific events that sent not only Germany, but the entire world, into the abyss. And almost no one saw it coming. How was Hitler able to convince an entire country that he was, in fact, the best thing that had ever happened to it? How did the Third Reich ascend to power? What was the day-to-day impact on people living in Germany? What can we learn about democracy today by studying what happened 75 years ago? We recommend discussing Evans over two sessions (Sections 1-3 and 4-6).
Books in this Series
- Katherine Kressman, Address Unknown
- Ursula Hegi, Stones from the River
- Richard J. Evans, The Coming of the Third Reich
- Rachael Cohen- Travel radius: statewide
- Geraldine Pittman de Batlle- Travel radius: statewide
- Cheryl Heneveld- Travel radius: Chittenden, Essex, Franklin, Lamoille, Orange, Orleans
- Gina Logan- Travel radius: statewide
- Deborah Lee Luskin- Travel radius: statewide (negotiable)
- Florence McCloud- Travel radius: Chittenden, Franklin, Grand Isle, Lamoille, Washington
- Barbara Mieder- Travel radius: Addison, Chittenden, Franklin, Lamoille, Washington
- Francis Nicosia- Travel radius: statewide
- Jim Schley- Travel radius: statewide
- Mark Stoler- Travel radius: statewide
- John R. Turner- Travel radius: statewide
- Richard M. Wizansky- Travel radius: Bennington, Windham, Windsor
How to Book this Series
Please browse the list of available facilitators above. Then contact your chosen facilitator to discuss the timing and other details of the series. Finally, select the “Book this Series” button and fill out our online Reading & Discussion Request Form.
Please contact Richelle Franzoni at (802) 262-1355 or .