Reading and DiscussionExploring Ideas through Books
Soldiering On: After Battle and Back Home
For soldiers and civilians of any war, the battle doesnt necessarily cease when the last guns are fired and the battlefield is left behind. Two novels in this series deal with the immediate after effects of war, one on the individual fighting the system and the other on the community trying to reestablish itself with help from the occupying force. Shays book traces the Vietnam veterans journey alongside that of the Greek hero Odysseus, while Samets book provides an insightful look into how literature helps students preparing for service in the armed forces.
Books in this Series
- Pat Barker, Regeneration
- Jonathan Shay, Odysseus in America, Combat Trauma and the Trials of Homecoming
- Elizabeth D. Samet, Soldiers Heart, Reading Literature Through Peace and War at West Point
- John Hersey, A Bell for Adano
- Suzanne H. Brown- Travel radius: statewide
- Merilyn Burrington- Travel radius: Addison, Chittenden, Franklin, Grand Isle
- Cheryl Heneveld- Travel radius: Chittenden, Essex, Franklin, Lamoille, Orange, Orleans
- Gina Logan- Travel radius: statewide
- Deborah Lee Luskin- Travel radius: statewide (negotiable)
- Barbara Mieder- Travel radius: Addison, Chittenden, Franklin, Lamoille, Washington
- Jim Schley- Travel radius: statewide
- Mark Stoler- Travel radius: statewide
- John R. Turner- Travel radius: statewide
- Richard M. Wizansky- Travel radius: Bennington, Windham, Windsor
- Lesley Wright- Travel radius: statewide
How to Book this Series
Please browse the list of available facilitators above. Then contact your chosen facilitator to discuss the timing and other details of the series. Finally, select the “Book this Series” button and fill out our online Reading & Discussion Request Form.
Please contact Richelle Franzoni at (802) 262-1355 or .