Reading and DiscussionExploring Ideas through Books
Reading and Discussion
Vermont Humanities Council’s Reading & Discussion program is an easy, inexpensive way for libraries and other nonprofit organizations to host high-quality, facilitated book discussions in Vermont communities. VHC provides the books, and trained scholars lead each session.
Browse our Offerings!Our 2017 Catalogue (PDF) lists 345 book titles grouped into over 75 themed series.
How it Works
- Browse the catalogue of available discussion topics and the roster of available scholars, and review our R&D Guidelines and FAQs.
- Contact VHC to check on the availability of a series or book title. Contact a scholar to set a tentative schedule for the series, and discuss any special arrangements.
- Request the program using our online form at least eight weeks in advance. We’ll respond within one week.
- Publicize the series once it’s been approved. Contact the scholar to confirm all details. We’ll mail you the books, along with a packet of promotional materials and paperwork.
- Host the series: distribute books, provide a comfortable space, introduce the scholar, and encourage attendees to sign in and share feedback.
- Submit our online Host Survey at the end of the series. Mail the books, program fee, and paperwork back to VHC.