Veterans Book GroupsThe Humanities and the Experience of War
Book Lists from 2016 Veterans Book Groups
Please note that many of these selections are very short pieces or poems.
VA Medical Center Womens Group, White River Junction
- Soldier Girls: The Battles of Three Women at Home and at War, by Helen Thorpe, 2014 (nonfiction).
- “Cathedral” by Raymond Carver, 1983 (short story).
- “After War” by Phil Klay, The New York Times, Feb. 8 2014 (essay).
- “They Fought Like Demons: Women Soldiers in the Civil War by De Anne Blanton and Lauren M. Cook, 2003 (nonfiction).
- “The Naked Citadel,” by Susan Faludi, from The New Yorker, September 5, 1994 (essay).
- Transgender Chapter from Far From the Tree, by Andrew Solomon, 2012 (nonfiction).
- Minaret, by Leila Aboulea, 2005 (novel).
- “A Jury of Her Peers”, by Susan Glaspell, 1927 (short story).
- Excerpts from POWDER: Writings by Women in the Ranks, from Vietnam to Iraq, Lisa Bowden and Shannon Cain, editors, 2008 (anthology).
- Herland by Charlotte Perkins Gilman, 1915 (novel).
The Veterans Place Group, Northfield
- “Soldier’s Home” by Ernest Hemingway, 1925 (short story).
- “Mother in the Trenches” by Robert Olen Butler, 2003 (short story).
- The Things They Carried by Tim O’Brien, 1990 (short story collection).
VA Medical Center Combat Veteran Group, White River Junction
- Regeneration by Pat Barker, 1991 (novel).
- If I Die in a Combat Zone, Box Me Up and Ship Me Home by Tim O’Brien, 1973 (memoir).
- The Yellow Birds by Kevin Powers, 2012 (novel).
- The Hummingbird by Stephen Kiernan, 2015 (novel).
VA Lakeside Clinic Women’s Group, Burlington
- Ashley’s War: The Untold Story of a Team of Women Soldiers on the Special Ops Battlefield by Gayle Tzemach Lemmon, 2015 (nonfiction).
- Grandma Gatewood’s Walk: The Inspiring Story of the Woman Who Saved the Appalachian Trail by Ben Montgomery, 2014 (nonfiction).
- POWDER: Writings by Women in the Ranks, from Vietnam to Iraq, Lisa Bowden and Shannon Cain, editors, 2008 (anthology).