Never Too EarlyProfessional Development for Childcare Providers
Foundations of Early Literacy Training
This lively, interactive, and informative training demonstrates the importance and joy of sharing picture books and stories with infants, toddlers, and preschoolers. It consists of two sessions, each lasting two hours.
- Study early literacy topics and related developmental stages, and practice using strategies for literacy and language development in children.
- Strengthen relationships between children and the significant adults in their lives.
- Develop ideas for creating literacy-rich environments.
- Enhance children’s interaction with literature by making books come alive through animated reading, rhyming, singing, and engaging activities.
- Introduce meaningful conversations with children about social and emotional issues.
- Earn six professional development training hours towards your Bright Futures Information System account.
VHC provides at no cost:
- A Never Too Early trainer
- Free book sets (six books) and other materials for participants
- Find a venue to host the training
- Publicize the training to recruit at least 10 participants
How to Book a Training
- Contact to discuss the timing and other details of the series.
- Your assigned trainer will fill out the online request form to schedule the series. (See trainer bios here.)
Never Too Early Literacy – Book List Option A
- Flotsam by David Wiesner (hardcover)
- I Want My Hat Back by Jon Klassen (hardcover)
- Chicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin Jr., John Archambault,and Lois Ehlert (paperback)
- Flower Garden by Eve Bunting and Kathryn Hewitt (paperback)
- All the World by by Liz Garton Scanlon and Marla Frazee (board book)
- Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr. and Eric Carle (board book)
Never Too Early Literacy – Book List Option B
- The Most Magnificent Thing by Ashley Spires (hardcover)
- The Big Umbrella by Amy June Bates and Juniper Bates (hardcover)
- Sheep in a Jeep by Nancy E. Shaw and Margot Apple (paperback)
- Ten, Nine, Eight by Molly Bang (paperback)
- Clap Your Hands by Lorinda Bryan Cauley (board book)
- The Napping House by Audrey Wood and Don Wood (board book)