Helping humanities happen throughout Vermont.
Vermont Humanities’ traditional Project Grants support nonprofit organizations offering Vermont audiences an opportunity to engage with the humanities in their communities. This grant funds community projects and curriculum development. Awards range from $1,000 to $5,000.
Fundable projects include:
- Community programming that invites participation in humanities discourse
- Curriculum development with plans to share the work to increase access to the humanities
- Humanities experiences designed to support a specific affinity group or to encourage interaction among more than one affinity groups
Both new and existing projects are eligible to apply.
Looking for examples? View our past Project Grants.
How to Apply
Project grant applications are reviewed twice per year. Deadlines and notification dates are:
- April 15
- October 15
- Decision Notifications:
- By May 31
- By December 1
We encourage you to contact us ahead of applying, especially for new projects. This will allow us to offer guidance prior to completing an application. Contact us through our online Grant Inquiry form, by emailing , or calling (802) 262-1355.
To apply for a Project grant, complete our online application form. We welcome you to view the questions on the application ahead of time.
About the review process
While reviewing grant proposals, a small committee consisting of Vermont Humanities staff and community reviewers will consider:
- Are the humanities central to the project?
- Who is the intended audience and how will the project benefit them?
- Has the organization created a plan to include diversity, equity, and inclusion principles?
- Is the project ADA accessible?
- How will the project evaluate its success?
- Does the organization have the capacity to implement the proposed project successfully?
If awarded, we ask grantees to commit to:
- Returning the signed Grant Agreement.
- Providing us with event information for any activities open to the public.
- Submitting a Final Report within 90 days after the project ends.