A Statewide, One-Book Community Reading Program
**Still accepting applications for summer/fall participation**
Vermont Reads 2013
Poetry 180: A Turning Back to Poetry
A poem "begins in delight and ends in wisdom." – Robert Frost
Poetry 180 is a poem-a-day anthology created by Billy Collins to make poetry less daunting, an assembly of “clear, contemporary poems which any listener could basically‘get’ on first hearing — poems whose injection of pleasure is immediate.” Students and adults of all ages will enjoy poetry in this book.
Vermont Reads brings communities together around stories, ideas, and activities that are important to the life of towns of all sizes. In 2012, nearly eighty communities took part in Vermont Reads Bull Run/The Red Badge of Courage.
Involve Your Community
• RECEIVE FREE copies of Poetry 180 and programming support for your community.
• HOST poetry readings and slams, poem-a-day projects, poetry writing contests, events with Vermont poets, and more.
• LISTEN to Vermont Public Radio features about the book, its themes, and its author.
Your Community Also Receives
• Program ideas, discussion guides, recommended books for all ages, and links to Web resources.
• Vermont Reads stickers and bookmarks.
• Poster templates for promoting events.
• Publicity assistance through the VHC media calendar, press releases, and website.
• Publicity via VPR on its website.
• Contact names upon request of prior Vermont Reads project directors who are happy to share tips for making your project successful.
Max Matthews or call 802.262.2626 x304 to borrow a copy.
2013 Application, Details, and Resources
Vermont Reads 2013 Sponsors
With support from the Jack & Dorothy Byrne Foundation