Vermont History through Popular Song
Join Mezzo-Soprano Linda Radtke on a tour of
Vermont history through Song
A rousing collection of popular tunes celebrating
Vermont and her people from America's historic songbook, 1790s-1990s
- 22 songs, funny, political, poignant, and lovely — Revolutionary War music,
Civil War ballads, a campaign song for Calvin Coolidge, songs about Vermont, and more
- A sampling of the Vermont Historical Society’s sheet music collection — dating
from the earliest song, “The Green Mountain Farmer” (1798), to Vermont’s
state song, adopted by the legislature in 2000
- A 24-page booklet with historical information and lyrics brings perspective
to our past through music.
- The music and lyrics provide a fascinating window into Vermont life
through the years.
Linda Radtke Tells a Story as She Sings!
Linda’s rich, classically trained voice and personality sparkle. She has served as the principal alto soloist for the Vermont Mozart Festival and is a member of Robert DeCormier’s professional vocal ensemble, Counterpoint. Linda is accompanied by pianist John Lincoln on the CD.
Linda Radtke tours Vermont as part of the Vermont Humanities Council's Speakers Bureau.
Learn more about Linda and how to bring one of her programs to your town.
Much of the music comes from the 1957 bequest of Harold G. Rugg. It represents music written in Vermont, published in Vermont, or that is part of Vermont’s popular musical heritage. The music provides a fascinating window into Vermont life and values through the years.
“Popular Music of Vermont” historian Michael Sherman’s introduction to the CD booklet
Many thanks to
- John and Katherine Paterson for supporting the idea from its inception and for making a generous donation towards its production.
- Michael Sherman, who was the original catalyst for this project.
- The Vermont Historical Society for making the sheet music collection accessible to all and for this project. For the historical society’s Marjorie Strong and Paul Carnahan for their help with the project.
Online • Phone, fax, mail • Wholesale